Chapter 6 – Google Webmaster Tools viewing data and using tools Part 2.
In last chapter, we went through menu “Search Appearance” and its sub-menu. In this chapter, we will take a look at “Search Traffic” and its sub-menu.
“Search Traffic” it has got six sub-menus, which we will discuss one by one.
1. Search Queries: This gives us data and statistics about the keyword which has driven traffic to your website. This helps you to determine if your keyword strategy is working and also gives you new keyword ideas.
This gives us details such as keyword, number of impressions for that keyword, number of clicks which happened on link during those impressions, CTR ( click through rate) and average position of keyword in search result.
This data is extremely helpful which tell us which is the best performing keyword on your website and which keywords are performing, but if you polish them well they are most likely to pay you well.
You also get the keyword traffic data in the Google analytics account, but if you look at the data webmaster and analytics account you will find the difference. The reason they are different because the data is collected differently
You can also click through these keywords link and view the detailed statistics for each keywords.
You can also see the data for for your “Top Pages” by clicking on the tab “Top Pages”. This is another gold mine of data which tells you about your best performing pages from your website and you can use his data to enhance its performance and also compare other pages to improve their visibility on search engine.
2. Links to your site: This gives the data about domains which link to your site. This is just an overview of backlinks to your website, however, it may not be accurate, but still gives a fair Idea how you are doing in terms of backlink building.
3. Internal Links : This data gives you an idea how your pages in your website are interlinked. Internal site linking is very important because it helps Google to crawl your web pages. If any of your web page do not link to any other web page internally in other terms if it is orphan then there are high chances Google will not be able to crawl it. So using this option you can find your orphan pages and link them.
To view what pages are linking to a particular page you can click on the page links.
4. Manual Action: If you make mistakes you should be given chance to fix it. Google is getting very strict on spam day by day. They would put a penalty if your website is found indulged in any kind of spam activity. There could be a chance that you have not committed the spam knowingly but you get penalized. Google is still kind to people who make mistakes. They tell people about their mistakes, at least for penalties which has been put manually.
In this option you will informed about any manual penalty being imposed by Google on your entire website or on a particular page. This helps webmaster to fix the problem and submit a reconsideration request to Google.
If you do not see anything here, then most possibly you are a good guy.
5. International Targetting : I would say this is an awesome tool introduced by Google, which has made the job of webmaster easier in case if he wants to target users of a particular language and country. A lot needs to be discussed in order to understand the usage of this tool. It will make this chapter too lengthy hence I will write a blog post for it and will update you once it is done.
6. Mobile Usability: It is section of utmost important as we know that now most of the traffic would be from mobile devices. If you do not have a mobile friendly website you may miss on a lot of traffic. This section reports you how your website behaves on mobile if there is any issue, it will inform you so that you can fix it.
This brings us to the end of this chapter. We will look at other menu option next chapter. Please use the forums to ask questions and participate in answering questions if you have answers to it.