Chapter 4 – Bing Webmaster Tool viewing data and using tools Part 3.
In this chapter, we will discuss about tools available to webmaster under the navigation menu “Diagnostic & Tools”. Let us see what these tools do and how we can use them.
1. Keyword Research: It is a tool which gives website owners to find the volume of a given keyword. You can enter up to 20 keywords and use country/region and language filter to find the volume and trends of the keyword. It also provides suggestion for keyword which you have entered.
You can use “Strict” option in case if you want this tool to give you the volume of only for keyword or phrase which you have entered and ignore the phrase and keyword which may include this keyword or phrase.
Pointing to $ symbol will bring up the cot per click and Average bid for the keyword this is useful in case if you want to run ads for these keyword on Bing.
2. Link Explorer: Out of all the tools available in BWT this is the tool which I love the most. This tool gives the information about backlink of any URL you enter. This is extremely helpful when you are doing a competitor analysis. This gives you treasure of links of websites from where your competitor is building links. This not only gives you the source where you can build links, but also gives you link building Ideas. I would say this is a must to use tool as it gives more number of links than any other free tool available for the same purpose.
It also contains filters where you can differentiate between a link to a URL or domain and also between internal and external link.
3. Fetch as Bingbot: This option allows you to see your website the way Bingbot or Bing crawler sees your page. By doing this you can see if the page is fine in terms of code and this is how you wanted it to be. If there is any issue you can spot it here and fix it.
To fetch as Bingbot you need to enter a URL in the box and click on “Fetch”. Once you get the URL and status says “Completed”. Click on “Completed” link to see the result.
4. Markup Validator: This tool shows what is called structured data on your website. Structured data are codes which you enter in the HTML markup of your website. These codes are picked up by search engines to show the rich snippet for your website in search result.
Rich snippet is the extra information which comes up along with a title tag and title description of the search result. For example, if you search for a restaurant and you see the review star rating as well as opening and closing hours of restaurant. This extra information is called rich snippet.
5. SEO Analyzer: This tool helps you to analyze a given URL of your website based on 15 SEO best practices established by Bing and check if there is any compliance issue on this URL and give a report.
Unlike SEP report, which gives detail report on SEO issue weekly this is a tool which give you an instant short report of any common SEO issues on your website.
To analyze the a URL you simply need to type the URL in the box and click on “Analyze”. You will the short report under SEO suggestion. These SEO suggestions have color coding where red is a high priority, yellow is medium priority and blue is low priority.
To get more details of issue, click on description. Clicking on “Analyzed tab” will show you the page where the issue and highlight it for you, “Page source” tab shows the page code and “Original” tab shows actual web page.
6. Verifying Bingbot Tool: This tool helps you to identify if the IP address which shows in your server log of web hosting account is Bingbot or not. It I useful in cases where you see an IP address which is using high bandwidth on your server you want to block it for security reasons, before doing that you can check this IP in verify Binbot Tool to check if the IP is of Bingbot or not so that you do not block Bingbot by mistake and stop your website from being crawled.
7. Site Move: This tool is extremely helpful in case if you decide to move your website from one server to another or from one domain to a new domain. This tool allows you to tell Bing about the site move so that all your website indexed are moved accordingly and you don’t have to wait for your website to be reindexed under a new domain name.
This brings us to end of this chapter. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and make full use of forum space.