Chapter 2 – Installing and managing theme in WordPress.
A theme is a set of files which determines the look and feel of the website. It determines the layout, graphics and design of website.
It is themes that give a different look and feel for different website which may be using same CMS. So in this chapter, we will take a look how to install and manage themes in WordPress.
To manage or install theme we first need to log in to the admin panel of WordPress. To do so, you need to go to link www.example.com/wp-admin. You should get a login prompt. Enter your admin username and password.
After login we get a dashboard. To manage or install the theme you need to click on “Appearance” and then on “Themes”.
You are now on control panel of themes from where you can add or remove the themes, activate or deactivate the themes, and customize your theme.
You would see that there are already some theme which you can choose from. These are default themes which come with WordPress are mostly the series of “Twenty X” series out of which one theme would be active. To add a theme you need to click on “Add New” button on top or you can click on “Add new theme” box.
This will take you to search page from where you can search hundred of free themes available in WordPress. Hovering over the themes would reveal buttons to view details of theme install and preview it. You can search same themes on WordPress website.
You can also upload a theme using the “Upload Theme” button. You can use this option in case if you have bought a premium theme or got the theme form somewhere else.
Preview the theme if you are ok with it click on install button and this will install this theme on your website.
You can now activate the theme using the “Activate” link or choose to activate it later. You can activate it later by going to themes page and hover over the theme you want to activate and click on “Activate button.
After activating the theme it is time to customize the theme to give it a personal look. To customize a website you can click on “Customize” button on theme itself or on navigation submenu under Themes.
This will give you a bunch of settings option which you can play with and give your site a personal touch.
Before we conclude this chapter I would like to tell you some important points which you should keep in mind while choosing a theme.
- Make sure the theme is responsive theme. There are lots of free themes which are now responsive, so there is no point in choosing a fixed width theme. Choosing a responsive theme widens your reach and your website can be accessed properly on desktop and mobile devices.
- Check if the theme gives you the option to upload your own logo and favicon. The logo gives your site personal touch and branding. The Favicon is tiny icon which appears in the address bar of the browser along with website URL again, it helps to build a brand so this is a must thing and should be part of your theme which you choose.
- The theme should give you the option to customize the header and footer of your website. Header and footer are an important part of a website it would contain important information about your website so a theme which offer customization in the header and footer should be preferred.
- The theme should give you the option to choose between left, right or no sidebar. Side are blocks which you normally see on left or right side of a web page. It may contain navigation menu, recent post link or other information. Use site bar varies on situation. Some would want the sidebar to be present on the right hand side or on the left hand side for visibility purpose. Whereas some may not want sidebar at all. So your theme should give this flexibility to you.
- Always check preview of the website and see if the theme is soothing to the eyes and it does not contain the color combination that hurts your eyes. If you are choosing themes for the blog make sure it gives you the option to choose fonts and if you can’t choose font then it should have a font which is easily readable.
Hope this chapter helps you. If you have some thing to add please use the comment section below for any question please use forum.