10 Proven ways to make money from your blog
Blogging has seen a major transformation from being just a hobby to a hardcore business now. To make money from blogging is not only real, but it has helped many to convert their passion to a real full time job.
If you talk to people around you they still have an impression that blogging can only be a source of residual income. You would need a real job to support your expense. I would ask such people to read my blog “Top 10 high earning bloggers in India“. You would get an insight of how smart people have turned their passion into a real business and their income far exceeds than what people earn in their job.
The thought of earning from blog fascinates every new comer who first hears about the idea of earning from blog. It is so lucrative because it offers you an option to work from home have flexible work time and huge profit with less effort. For all these people I would like to tell you that yes, blog does gives you an opportunity to work from home and have flexible hours of work however, it is not that effortless.
If you are just starting off you will have to be prepared for a lot of hard work and it will take time to earn your first penny. In the beginning, it would be small but if you are patient enough, it will gradually grow and the day will come when you will have handsome income from your blog.
Earning from the blog also fascinates lots of people as it is a source of passive income. What you are doing now will certainly pay in future. This is the point which we should keep in mind as a beginner. In the beginning, we only have a blog which no one knows about so the first task of blogger is to create content for an audience and then build an audience for his blog.
Creating a blog is no big deal CMS like WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and others can solve this purpose. If you are not aware of these and want to learn you can learn it here just check for Learn Wordpres menu on the top menu bar. If you are ready with a website it means you probably know what niche you want to write about. If you have not decided yet, you need to do a bit of brainstorming and find where your interest lies.
Upon discovering your niche, you need to create content which will add value to users. Once you have a quality content you need to bring an audience to your blog by SEO, again if you are not aware how to do it, I have an entire tutorial up here which will teach you in and out of SEO for free just look for menu link Learn SEO on top of the page on the main menu bar.
Now that you have a blog and audience, how do you earn from it. This is the question which we are going to answer here. There are various ways to monetize your blog. Choosing ways to monetize your blog depends upon what is your goal and how much does the monetizing method fits your existing blog.
I would suggest using a mix and match of this method rather than relying on only one method for income generation. By diversifying monetizing method for your blog you would have a greater chance of success because if one method does not work other will bring in money for you. Then you can find out ways to how to fix the option which are not working for you.
1. Pay Per click Advertising: As the name suggest these are advertisements which show on blogs as banners and text. You get paid when someone clicks on this ad. This by far is one of the most common and is the first choice to start monetizing the blog. You would need high traffic to make really good money out of it as not all users visiting your blog will click on those ads. Usually very less percentage of people would actually click on your ad. So the higher number of visitor more chances you have to earn from ads. Also payment for different ads vary a lot. Ads for finance, insurance and health are some high paying ads where as ads related recipe is low paying ads.
The ads which show on blogs are mostly related to content on your blog. So your income also depends on the niche if your blog is about health then you will have ads showing for health which are high paying ads.
Not only the content placement of the ads matter as well. If your ads is not in sight of the user there are likely any chances that people will click on it. The best place for ads to be placed are in the header of page, top of the right sidebar and at the end of the content.
I would suggest using ppc banner and text advertising with certain constraints. Use it in such as way that your website does not appear as a bill board for advertisers. If you crowd your pages with advertisement there are chances it may create a bad user experience and users may never come back to your website.
Google Adsense is by far is the best choice for bloggers to monetize their blog as it is good paymaster and pays on time. Apart from Google Adsense we have other ppc advertisers like chitika, clicksor and sitescout.com.
2. Sell Advertising space on your website: Adsense though, is a popular method of earning for blogger but you really do not have control of how much you will earn from these advertisements and usually you get fraction of money what people pay to main advertisers like Google. So if you have a popular blog you can sell space on your blog for advertisement to advertisers directly and earn directly from them. You can allow them to put up a banner ad on your website on a subscription basis for a certain amount of time and earn a guaranteed income.
3. Affiliate marketing: This by far is the biggest source of income for a blogger if done correctly. If you have selling skills this is for you. In affiliate marketing you need to promote a product through your blog and place the link of the website selling the product on your blog and if the user follows the link and buys the product then you get a commission out of the sales. Usually you get a certain percentage of the profit as a commission, which is usually a good amount better than what you get for PPC ads. I have seen products which offer as high as 50% of commission on the sale of the product.
The most common way of selling a product is writing reviews about the product and placing the affiliate link in the review. Since it is hardcore sales you will have to think of innovative ideas to sell the products.
While selecting an affiliate program you need to check a few things like what is the reputation of that affiliate program how well they convert to sales what is their commission structure and what is their payment policy.
4. Writing reviews: You would be astonished to know that this industry has grown many folds. Reviews matter most for a company which manufacture gadgets, automobiles, electronic goods and service industry. A lot of their reputation depends on how people are talking about their product and services which impacts their sales. So these companies hire writers to write a good review about their product on their blogs. This not only helps to build their brand, but also drive sales. If you find yourself geeky enough to review any of the gadgets or automobiles, then there is a lot for you. If you are a traveler you can write reviews about hotels and restaurants. There is a lot more to do in this and you will find something review in your niche.
5. Write post for others: There are lots of bloggers and business who hire bloggers to write about them for two main reasons, one to increase their presence on the internet two to create their brand. This is not about writing reviews on their product, but on their business or about the company and there could be various other topics. Some popular websites offering this service are IZEA, Pay Per Post and Pay U2 Blog.
6. Write and sell your e-book: If your blog starts gaining popularity and you see a constant increase in traffic then it will be not incorrect to assume that you are becoming an expert. You should try to write an e-book on any of the topics of your niche which you think would benefit your audience. Most of the people are afraid of writing books as they think writing 500 pages is tedious job and selling them is even more difficult, but, when you are writing an e-book it does not have to have 500 pages a book with 50 pages with high quality content is more than enough. When it comes to selling books it is not that hard to sell and e-book sell easily than a hard copy of the book. There are two reasons for it first e-books are cheaper than hard copy books and you can sell them on Amazon without having to bother about getting it published from any publishing house.
7. Sell Membership: In any case, if you are not convinced that you can write a book and if you still feel that you have quality content which really deserve to be paid rather than be free. Then you can sell membership on your website and put your premium content behind the authentication for only paid members to see. You can decide membership terms and tenure and if you have built up your reputation as a blogger, you will see that you will get members easily who would pay for your readership.
8. Become a consultant sell your services: If you are a successful blogger in your niche then there is no reason why you cannot advise others in the subject which you are an expert in. You are already giving your advise in the form of a blog post. You now have to do it in person for an individual or business. I provide SEO services as I have in depth knowledge about it. If your niche is about technical known how then you can be technical consultant and offer your services for a fee. This is one of the best ways to monetize the reputation of your blog.
9. Host a webinar: Once your blog is an established source of authority in your niche then you become a specialist. Now a days seminar and workshops have become important tools for people to enhance their knowledge in a particular trait. They visit seminar to hear lectures of specialist so that they can add to their knowledge. Inspired by this virtual seminar or called webinar are now taking their place it helps people from far off place to join the workshop without travelling. You too can organize a webinar and charge per seat for people attending the webinar. If you have built a good reputation of your blog there is no reason why people will not attend your webinar.
10. Sell your own products: It is said that every one is a possible customer. It is true for your blog audience as well. You can use your blog to pitch your own product to customer for selling. There is one thing to keep in mind that the product which you are selling should be related to your blog niche and it should not sound that this blog has now become a market place for irrelevant product. However, if done with due diligence it has potential to make your blog into long term business.
Earning from blog are not limited to above method there are many ways to earn from blogs. I have just mentioned some of the credible way to earn from blogs. There are new ways in which people are monetizing their blog. This innovation will continue. I would be adding new ways in this list and ask you to contribute with your comments.